Bringing Science to Life.
One of the cool things about being at a large research university like the University of Texas is that students have the opportunity to work with faculty and graduate students in research labs making cutting-edge science discoveries.
Whether you are a student interested in becoming a medical doctor or an environmental lawyer, research provides the experience you need to succeed. Research helps students learn how to ask questions and find answers, to think critically, to work well in teams, and to communicate effectively with others about complicated ideas.
Start as a Freshman
In the old days, students might not have had the opportunity to do research until their junior or senior years. The College of Natural Sciences has developed an innovative program, the Freshman Research Initiative, that has revolutionized undergraduate experience. Almost 1,000 freshman each year start working on independent research projects in faculty labs.
All Research Opportunities
There are ample opportunities outside of the Freshman Research Initiative to become active in research and we highly recommend exploring these options.
- EUREKA! - Explore a database of faculty-sponsored research opportunities, and contact them to set up a meeting.
- College of Natural Sciences Faculty Database - Explore the college’s faculty database sorted by research areas, from birth defects to star formation.
- Info Sessions - Attend one of these to learn how to get started with undergraduate research.
- Undergraduate Research Mailing list - Subscribe to receive information about scholarships, fellowships and research opportunities in the college.
- SURGe - Join this student group that works to foster a cohesive undergraduate research community.
Undergraduate Research Fellowships
The College of Natural Sciences funds and/or administers a number of fellowships for students doing research. We can also help direct you to many outside sources of funding for students engaged in research.
Find out more about Undergraduate Research Fellowships »
Keep Us Informed
The College of Natural Sciences wants to publicize the amazing work that its students are doing, but there's so much going on that we need your help to keep track of it all. If you know of a student (or if you are a student) who deserves recognition for accomplishments in the areas of scholarship, research and international studies, please fill out this form so that we can give our students their due.