Department of Computer Science
Supplying the people and ideas that shape the digital frontier.
- 8th best department in the nation.
- Largest top-ten department in the country.
- Only top-ten ranked computer science department within 1000 miles of Austin.
- Produces 20 percent of Texas computer science graduates and 18 percent of all computer science graduates from national top-tier departments.
- Credited with a strategic impact in Texas of about $8.7 billion per year.
- 66 percent of graduates stay in Texas.
- 17 percent Hispanic undergraduate enrollment.
- 47 major inventions.
- 22 patent applications filed.
- 16 commercialized technologies.
The Department of Computer Science offers a unique opportunity for students to achieve excellence in the fundamentals of computer science and practical technical skills through rigorous classes, hands-on research and technology development. Its pioneering researchers create scientific knowledge and leading edge technologies that change the world.
1991 Undergraduate (Fall 2013)
237 Graduate (Fall 2013)
2 Turing Awards (the Nobel Prize for computing)
3 Packard Foundation Fellows
18 National Science Foundation CAREER Awards
3 members of the National Academies
20 university teaching award recipients
Computer Systems and Networks / Security and Privacy / Artificial Intelligence / Data Mining and Machine Learning / Formal Methods / Algorithms and Complexity / Computational Biology