Department of Astronomy
Exploring the universe and advancing the frontiers of human knowledge.
- Home of the world-renowned McDonald Observatory.
- Top-ten astronomy program in the U.S.
- One of the largest undergraduate astronomy programs in the nation.
- Key partner in the construction of the world's next great telescope, the Giant Magellan Telescope.
- Home of StarDate radio, tuned into by 2.1 million people daily.
- Leader in the study of stars, star formation, black holes, formation of galaxies, search for planets, and stellar explosions.
- Hobby Eberly Telescope Dark Energy Experiment (HETDEX) is the quickest and most cost-effective project to uncover the secrets of dark energy.
- 60,000 people annually visit the McDonald Observatory.
Students68 Undergraduate (Fall 2013)
37 Graduate (Fall 2013)
25 research scientists, fellows and associates
20 postdoctoral fellows
1 Nobel Prize in Physics
2 Members of the Academy of Distinguished Teachers
3 Regents' Outstanding Teaching Awards
2 NSF Early Career Development Grant Awards
6 Alfred P. Sloan Fellowships
1 Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering
1 Edith and Peter O'Donnell Award